Friday 13 April 2012

Painting Conundrums...

I hit a bit of a painting conundrum recently with regards to my Orcs. Back in the Eighties I painted the Citadel/GW Orcs and Goblins green. Not the luminous Goblin Green from GW but Humbrol French Artillery Green, a more olive green colour that looked more natural. However for the Nick Lund Chronicle Orcs I went with a terracotta flesh washed with sepia brown oil.


The problems in trying to recreate the particular looks has proven varied to say the least. I thought the French Artillery Green would be the most problematical until I discovered how Napoleon's artillery crews made it in the field (mix yellow and black and et voila!). The Chronicle brown though has been a problem.


I've tried a few experiments over the last couple of weeks and settled on a slightly darker and redder look than previous, but one I like and has a link to the old Red Goblins that existed in early Warhammer lore before being erased from history by the GW Design Studio.


The three Orcs here (all Grenadier IIRC) are painted slightly differently (Vallejo Red Black, Burnt Cad. Red and Flat Brown over a black undercoat) but the end result is similar enough and one I am pleased with so it's now full steam ahead on a unit of 21 Nick Lund Red Orcs.

5 comments:

  1. Not bad at all, I like them a lot even if I could care less for Nick Lund's sculpts usually. Still, very oldschool and nice! Funny that I just recently posted some ME44 Uruk Hai painted as "red orcs". =) Mine turned out slightly pinker than yours, but still pretty much what I was going for:
    http://ministuff.godzilla.se/?p=236

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are nice, kind of what I planned but chickened out on! :-) What colours did you use? I've 30 odd pre-GW Chronicle Orcs that will be Red Goblins to do and they need to be lighter.

      Love the blog!

      Delete
  2. Those are nice.
    I'm always happy when I see anyone breaking out from under the tyranny of bright green skin.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm really interested in your old school project. I'm building a 500 figure army made up of predominantly nick Lund grenadier orcs goblins and ogres but including his chronicle wolf riders and chariots.

    I'd be really interested in any pictures you have of the chronicle chariots as I try to collect all the variants.

    Brandlin@btinternet.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Somewhere I have one or two of the pre-Citadel chariots but I'm not 100% sure (my mother's attic I suspect).

      Delete